Monday, September 5, 2011

Meatless Mondays

Hi all! I hope everybody had a fabulous Labor Day weekend!

We are just wrapping up another class in medical school (last exam is tomorrow!) called Preventative Medicine and Nutrition. I thought it was an awesome class! I learned so many cool things that will not only help my future patients, but I want to implement in my own life as well. One of the lectures was on cardiovascular and cancer prevention diets/nutrition. One factoid that I thought I would implement would be to decrease my intake of animal protein/fat and increase my plant protein as this will reduce my risk of vascular disease. Also, by reducing my protein intake to 0.75g/kg of body weight this will decrease IGF-1 (IGF-1 is a growth factor hormone that increases the risk of cancer).

Anyways -- J and I have already changed our dietary habits quite a bit (I think this class has a lot to do with it!), so I thought I would share our "meatless" Monday meals. They are definitely nothing special!

September 5th, 2011
Breakfast:
Yogurt + muesli (homemade) + blueberries
Coffee + milk

Snack:
Handful of mixed nuts

Lunch:
Spinach + baby tomatoes + olive oil/feta/vinaigrette
1/2 piece of whole grain toast w/ almond butter

Snack:
Whole grain crackers

Dinner:
Whole grain tortilla + re-fried beans (low-sodium)
Chopped up tomatoes
Spinach w/ dressing
Orange wedges

Snack:
Dried prunes

Another goal of ours it to get at least 5 servings of fruits/vegetables while trying to get all the colors of the rainbow accounted for. Let's see how we did today - 7 servings total and just missing yellow - not too bad! :)

Do you do "meatless" Mondays? What are some of your favorite recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment