Monday, August 2, 2010

Reunions and get togethers

The rest of July was filled with reunions and get togethers. The weekend after the Fourth of July Amy and I headed up to my cabin for the Schantzen Family Reunion. We had a great time catching up with everyone and relaxing outside. A lot of basketball, croquet, and fishing was done over these three days. We even had a huge wiffle ball game on my Uncle Mark's birthday. It is fitting that it was his birthday because he nailed the wiffle ball into some pine trees out in left field and had a game winning walk off grand slam! After the reunion was over, Amy and I headed back to Iowa (yeah I drove 8 hours straight) to finish making our apart into a home. We stayed in Iowa from until the following Monday when we drove up around Cross Lake, MN where we would be staying in a cabin by a golf course with Amy's family. The week was filled with golf and cribbage games! I played two 18 hole rounds at Golden Eagle Golf Course (Amy played 1), we rented a pontoon boat and a jet ski one day, and we had lots of fun. When our stay in Cross Lake was over on Friday morning all of us drove over to my cabin in Dent, MN. We went out that night to The Little Otter Supper Club and participated in the meat raffle. We won 9 ribeye steaks and 3 pounds of bacon!! Both our families decided to donate all of this meat to the poor medical students (jackpot!). On Saturday I accompanied the girls into to town while the other guys went fishing. While the ladies looked at quilts, furniture, and knick knacks in the shops, I sat outside on a bench and read my book. I would have loved to go fishing, but I think Amy was happy a decided to tag along with them. When we got back to the cabin we were surprised to see that the rest of the guys had started getting a fish fry ready! While we were gone they had gone out and caught 18 huge sunfish (I'm told my dad Mike caught most of the fish but I cannot comment on the validity of these claims). No matter who caught the fish they were still delicious! We left the cabin on Sunday morning for the long drive home, and after what seemed like forever, we finally arrived home in Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment